Mosquitos in August

Your questions on medical and security issues
Miles

Mosquitos in August

Post by Miles »

We are planning a trip in August with our two children. We would like to stay at the Erasmus Cottages, but they have no air conditioning, screens or mosquito netting. They said we will have a constant breeze, so therefore there should be no problems. The place sounds great, but we are worried we will be eaten alive. Any feedback? Thanks.
Philip

Mosquitos

Post by Philip »

Miles Hi

Mosquitos are not a major problem in Tobago, I am not familiar with the place that your staying, but if they do not have A/C I assume that they will have fans. This coupled with either the coils or the electric tablet version (Cheap and widely availabe in Tobago) will prevent any problems.

Outside your accomodation a repellent will suffice.

Anyway enjoy Tobago and don't worry.

Regards

Philip
Nick C

Mosquitos at Erasmus Cove

Post by Nick C »

Hi Miles

We are departing for our first visit to Tobago in less than three weeks and will be spending our first week at Erasmus Cove. I will be posting a review here on our return and will certainly report back on any insect problems.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Miles

I think you will find that all but the very cheapest and most basic accommodation establishments in Tobago are very conscious of visitors vulnerability to mossies and provide whatever is appropriate.

If Erasmus Cottage do not provide screens or mosquito netting, it is almost certain that they simply aren’t necessary. After all, they’re cheap enough to provide, so why lose custom for the sake of the few dollars necessary to install either or both? Air conditioning is a great rarity on Tobago other than in the big hotels. It simply isn’t needed most of the time. Most part of Tobago benefit from the lovely sea breezes and the higher you are, the more breezes you get. Mosquitoes can’t fly in strong wind, so the two go hand in glove.

Having said all that, you are going during the Wet Season and so mosquitoes will be more prevalent than during the Dry Season. Useful tips are provided in the Insects article (Odds & Sods/Health Matters menu).

Bye the way, I find that a lot of people talk about getting bitten by mosquitoes when they have actually be bitten by sandflies, gnats and other little invisible nasties that lurk in long grass and bush land. Good repellents should deter most, but you won’t get the gnats, etc., inside your rooms – only outside.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Health & Security”