Delta

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
Phil Bondie
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Delta

Post by Phil Bondie »

Does anyone know if the Delta flight direct to Tobago actually went? If it did how was it?
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Re: Delta

Post by Hugh S »

Merry Christmas Phil,

I was on the inaugural flight in on the 15th and after a rain delay in Atlanta it went quite well. It was full (except for the seat next to me!) and there was much cheering and celebrating when we touched down at Crown Point. My return Sunday the 23rd had a grand total of 28 passengers. We each had our own row!!! :lol: I hope this flight continues and expands to more than once a week but it sure was a lot easier than going through POS.

Hugh
Phil Bondie
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Phil Bondie »

Merry Christmas to you too Hugh,

Thanks for the reply. I usually fly to Tobago on Continental (POS) using flier miles. I waited until the 17th of Dec. to book my flight. Even though I did not have a reply on here and Delta could not tell me if the flight actually went I decided to go with Delta. The added incentive was they had business available for regular miles. Most of the time I have to use the rule buster to get business. I use Northwest and they have a partner agreement with Continental and Delta.

I am going this Sat.(29th). Coming back in end of March. I intended to stay into April. I could not get business on Delta, so will be on Continental coming back. I always determine the dates and length of my stay by the availability of flights.

Was it a newer plane? How was Imigration and Customs at Crown Point? How long before you got out of the terminal?

I wonder why so few people on your flight back? I hope Delta does not reconsider. It would be nice for a two or three times a week flight, but one is better than none.

Time for X-mas dinner. Thanks, Phil
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

I think the plane was empty because it was 2 days before Xmas. I would bet that the next return is packed.

It was a 737, not new, and because we were the only flight arriving at that time we passed throught the terminal quickly. Real meals were served in each direction! My only complaint was that Delta left our bags out in the rain in Atlanta and a box of mine disintegrated. No internal damage though.

For now the flight goes out on a Saturday and after a 10 hour layover they return Sunday at 8:15 am. The crew does not get to see much of Tobago. :cry:

Hugh
Phil Bondie
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Phil Bondie »

I will answer my own questions. The Delta flight was a real pleasure to be able to get to Tobago in one day. The plane was not new but was in good shape. Had trouble with the sound on the movie but they worked it out.The meal was good. The plane was 3/4 full. Imigration was a breeze. This was my first time in the international baggage-customs area. It needs work. I would never want arrive on a Full Virgin 747. I have heard that a bigger area is in the works, but as Steve W. sometimes says "hey it's Tobago seeing is believing". Out of the whole plane I was singled out for the full inspection of all my bags by the 1 and only customs bag checker. They had one lady checking papers (one line), one lady checking the x-ray machine, yes all your bags must go through x-ray before you can leave the terminal and the one lady checking bags. She took out almost everything, checked and carry-on. I was bringing some gifts and of course things for my personal use. She wanted a $ value on everything and made a list and added it up. I know you can only bring in up to $500 US and her list added to $437.00. She also took out any packaged food that I had, unopened can of peanuts, unopened bottle of low sodium salt I use, a bag of M&Ms and some other things and was going to confiscated it all. I put up a little fuss and she called what must have been a supervisor and he let me keep them. Need less to say I was the 1st one off the plane and last one out of the terminal. I had a ride and where else was I going to go. It was just great getting out of the midwest. I would take a little inconvience any time to come to Tobago Phil
Chris P

Post by Chris P »

Unfortunately Delta have stopped this route. We had a reservation for first week of May and have had to switch to POS and travel across. Also the Delta flights to POS are being reduced to one per week after about the second week of May.
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Chris,

Please double check that info. I just spoke to a rep and she assured me that the ATL to TAB route is still operating and will be in June when we are booked. Instead of 221 it is now 441 going in, 442 outgoing. If Delta does this now it won't be the first time. :x

Please add any info you may have. I'm still very nervous. [-o< Delta recently announced 30,000 (voluntary?) layoffs.

Thanks, Hugh
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Hugh

I think Delta are in free fall and nobody knows what's happening. However, my information is the same as Chris - that the direct flights to TAB are ending in May (and that they will be cutting the four flights per week to POS to just one per week). I honestly think you will be accepting a major risk if you rely on any bookings with Delta.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Steve and Chris,

As of yesterday they were still selling seats for mid-June. I hope they don't wait until the last minute to notify us (like they did last year!!!). Seems a shame that they can't get their stuff together, especially in the customer relations area. On the other hand, the difficulty of getting to Tobago discourages some trepid Americans from venturing out. :wink:

Let's stay on top of this so I (and others) can make alternate plans if necessary.

Thanks, Hugh
Dianne K

Post by Dianne K »

well, now I am nervous as well. I already booked our flight on Delta for next December. I have not heard anything from them about a potential cancellation-but should probably start shopping around. Any suggestions on an alternative flight would be welcomed. We will be traveling from Wisconsin. Thanks
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Check the "Getting To Tobago" link above. American, Continental and Caribbean (and Delta too!) all fly to Port of Spain which means you still need to find a way to get to Tobago. Air bridge (Caribbean Air) or ferry.

Good luck. I'm nervous too. :cry:

Hugh
Michael Jain

Post by Michael Jain »

Hi Dianne ... besides Delta, I'm not sure there are any other carriers that fly from the US directly to Tobago. Next week we're flying American from Oklahoma to Dallas to Miami, spending the night, then on to Port of Spain, and finally switching to Caribbean Airlines to get to Tobago. Made me tired just typing that. Basically ~24 hours with an overnight + four planes each way. We overnight in Dallas on the return leg. Not great, but we're using frequent flyer miles with AA ... I guess it's worth it???? :?

That would be unfortunate if Delta discontinues service to Tobago. I agree with Hugh ... I'm sure difficult travel arrangements discourage some Americans from visiting. Not us though! I'm ready to go now and only regret we're not staying long enough!

Good Luck
Dianne K

Post by Dianne K »

I e-mailed Delta regarding the December flight and they indicated that they plan to continue to offer the Saturday departure to Tobago. I am going to sign up for the flight notification system and will keep all posted if things change. It would be a shame if this flight stops as its so much more convenient than our past trips. On our first trip to Tobago a few years ago, we had three stops (each flight was on a different airline). Our luggage was lost for 8 of the 10 days and being that we had 3 airlines-each airline insisted they hadn't misplaced the luggage. In an attempt to avoid a repeat of that situation, last December we booked a flight from Milwaukee to Atlanta (picked up our luggage), stayed overnight and then caught the flight to Tobago the next morning. Delta, did however, misplace my luggage during the flight and I was without for 5 days. Bit of advice, make sure you have a few days of clothing and toiletries in your carry on as the stores will be closed by the time you arrive on Saturday evening and most are closed on Sunday. To those that are traveling in the near future, have a great time and have a Carib or several for me. Dianne
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

Dianne,

I will check out that flight notification system too. I am still very skeptical. Delta will do as they please without even telling their reservations staff. They will sell tickets up to the last moment and wait until it is almost too late to get another flight arranged. BEWARE!

On another note, I doubt this has changed, but when I was leaving Tobago in December I found that Delta's flight left before duty free was open at the airport meaning I was unable to bring home any rum. :evil: I will be purchasing ahead of time and carefully packing into luggage for the next return.

You are definitely one of the intrepids! Thanks for the info.

Hugh 8)
Hugh S
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Hugh S »

This is an update on the duty-free at Crown Point. They now have a limited number of duty-free shops open for passengers leaving on the Sunday morning flight to Atlanta. (They did when I left in August)

Hugh

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”