Mountains

Questions and comments about birding and rainforest tours
Gerri

Mountains

Post by Gerri »

This may seem strange but as a phobic of driving up mountains I would like to know if there are any mountains and are there proper roads. My husband loves the exitment of driving up unmade mountains whilst I love the scenery frm the top but almost have a breakdown in getting there and back. Can anyone advise please. :lol:
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Gerri

Ouch! This is a difficult one to answer honestly and accurately – it’s so much a matter of opinion.

How high is a mountain? The highest point in Tobago, Pigeon Peak, is only 576m (1,870 feet), so it’s not exactly the Alps. It all depends upon what you’re comparing it with. Yes, it’s hillier than the Downs in Kent, but it’s not like the steepest parts of the Scottish Highlands or Lake District.

The main crossing over the Main Ridge forest preserve – the highest road in Tobago – is a well-maintained modern surfaced road that even little Suzuki jeeps with hairdryer engines manage to cross without problem. I honestly would be surprised if you had a problem and there is absolutely no reason why you need (or should) be travelling on any unmade roads.

Enjoy! I’m sure you will.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Birdwatching & Rainforest”