To jeep or not to jeep...

Transport-related questions and comment
Ros Gaulton

To jeep or not to jeep...

Post by Ros Gaulton »

Wow, what a useful site :D.

We're off to Tobago in November. Given that we want to get off the beaten track, potter through the rainforest and are used to driving old bangers (sorry, 'classic' cars) should we go for the Suzuki or should I put my foot down (not literally, I'm very safe on the road!) and book us a proper car? We're planning on having the car for a week but I doubt we'll do that much actual driving.

Any advice gratefully received.

Ros
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hello Ros

Having been to Tobago twice - the first time having a car whose brakes failed on me in the rain forest and the second time (3 weeks ago) having a vehicle impounded because it had the wrong registration number.

For a little bit extra hassle free holiday I would advise using Thrifty, they are not the cheapest but do professionally maintain their vehicles and keep an upto date fleet - which many rental companies do not.

To book in advance - Patrick and Tanja at Yes Tourism Ltd <[email protected]>can organise a vehicle from a good company for you.

Enjoy your stay

Simon
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Ros

This is one that will attract different opinion, I’m sure.

Firstly, please be aware that the insurance on rental vehicles does NOT cover you for off-road usage. Therefore, if you get stuck or damage the vehicle, etc., you could find yourself in deep dooh-dah! Some rental companies even exclude travel along specific roads – such as Back Bay or the Charlotteville/L’Anse Fourmi road.

There’s only one road through the rainforest. I would most definitely advise you not to wander off this road or attempt to take any vehicle off-road in the forest. It is remarkably easy to get lost – even though you might be only a few hundred yards from the main road.

The Suzuki jeeps are undoubtedly the most popular vehicles hired by visitors and I admit that people who aren’t used to ‘proper’ 4x4s seem to find them great fun. I have to admit to a great prejudice against the little Suzukis. I’m too old to be bounced about and constantly banging elbows with the person next to me. They are adequate for the job, I guess. It depends entirely upon what you are used to and prepared to put up with.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip and be sure to give us a holiday report.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Richard

Post by Richard »

I would recommend 4 wheel drive even if you stay on the roads which you should.

We rented one and on a couple of occassions found the extra traction useful but generally it's not needed.

The real advantage is you get a bit of extra height that can make sightseeing better.

In December we will use a hard top version as we will have our 9month son with us. I'd prefer the softtops but I am fairly dark and can take the sun better.
Enrico Soresini

Hi!

Post by Enrico Soresini »

Just returned from Tobago, the jeep is a must really, especially if you are travelling 'up north' & to more remote parts of the island.
The Suzuki is easy to drive and it will take you anywhere...a suggestion for rental if you are staying in the Crown Point area (near the airport) is 'Spence Car Rental', he's fine and open to deals (2 days cost lest than 1 day and so on...), say that yu have been sent by 'those 2 crazy italians' he will remember, we had a deal for 2 days for TT$550 which I consider extremely good.

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”