car rental from airport versus a local village operator

Transport-related questions and comment
Barrett

car rental from airport versus a local village operator

Post by Barrett »

Hi everyone- i just returned from castara- amazing people, amazing place. I just thought i would post some thoughts on car rentals b/c of some situations that came up during my stay. This information may already be on here, but i have to confess, i haven't read all of Steve's extensive research front to back!!!
I stayed at sandcastles and told adam wh runs the place that i would like a car from porridge- because of all the positive reviews.... a car is delivered on the said date-
it is immaculaqte, and seemed do 'personal' ie- stereo system, fragrant smelly pine tree on rear-view mirror...etc
we talked to adam's wife ria on our return from our first day out- a little perilous and pot-holed....but good fun!!! it turns out that it was one of her best friend's cars...she was paying her car off by sub-letting it out!!!
from then on we were nervous wrecks!!!!!
in the u.s rental cars belong to a buisness....the companies are used to bumps and scratches.....
we were nervous wreaks hoping not to wreak the only vehical of a really nice person who of course loved her sporty, shiny little car. We turned around on several outings when the roads got questionable, and going through mud puddles made us cringe!!!!
To make a long story short- my fiance told me he got really close to some rocks one nite and he hoped he hadn't scrtched the car- turns out he had, the owner pointed it out, and our deposit was kept- we rented it for one more day after we paid for the scratch and returned it to the owners husband that evening- that morning dhe was at sandcastles telling us we scratched her car in a different place. It turned messy- simply because i had been in the car the entire time it was driven and i knew we didn't hit or scrape anything-
please be advised to look over the car w/ the owner before and after- so much can happen in a parking lot w/ a car unattened.
And if you choose to rent local, please drive with upmost respect and care- these are personal cars....not junkers of some no name company that a car is a dime a dozen so to speak!
next trip i am going to the airport and getting some beat-up jeep!!!!
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

they are personal cars when they have a P-number plate. when they have a R-plate they are real rental cars. also a few available in the village.
or get one delivered from a renatl in the lowlands for a few dollars. we highly recommend sunbird-holidays to our guests and they deliver for something between seven and nine dollars to your place in castara.
read you contract if you rent (from whoever) and check the insurance policy and cillision and damage weaver...so you won't be surprised when something happens.
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”