VisitingTobago for the first time in June - suggestions?

What to see, what to do, where to go
Susan Mitchell

VisitingTobago for the first time in June - suggestions?

Post by Susan Mitchell »

Dear Steve and others,

I'm going to be visiting Tobago for the first time this summer. I discovered this site after I'd booked the accommodation - the Rex Turtle Beach Hotel of course but I'm sure we'll survive.

The three of us - myself, my husband and our nine year old daughter will be spending a week on the island starting on the 22nd June.

Just like Sharon I'd like to have your advice on the best activities to do in the short time we are on Tobago.

We'd like to visit a good beach where we can swim safely. Is Turtle Beach any good? All three of us are confident (but not reckless) swimmers.

We'd like to go on a boat trip, maybe even with some snorkelling (can the gear be hired?) but mainly for the fun of being on a boat. Full day or half day would be fine.

We'd like to have a trip to the rainforest, preferably with a guide. My daughter is looking forward particularly to seeing hummingbirds (and so am I).

We'd like to have the chance to soak up the atmosphere and maybe meet local people. Sunday School sounds great fun but not really for children. Any suggestions?

Should we hire a small car or depend on local transport to get us to places?

Any nice places to eat? We may have booked all inclusive at the hotel but we're not going to stick to it.

Anything else you could suggest?

With very best wishes,

Sue
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Susan

My what a list! May I please refer you to all our Activity articles available in the 'Out & About' menu above.

Turtle Beach can offer excellent swimming. At some times of the year it can suffer from quite vigorous surf, but I think it should be reasonably calm in June. The other thing to remember is that conditions can vary quite enormously from one end of the beach to the other and as Great Courland Bay is well over a mile long, that can make quite a difference. The good news is that the most sheltered bit is just north of the hotel (turn right on the beach).

Our recommended boat trip operators are listed in our Sailing article (in Out & About/Activities).

One of the islands best nature guides, Peter Cox, gives nature talks at the Rex Turtle Beach and I would strongly recommend a rainforest tour with Peter.

Yes, hire a car and get out and about.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Sightseeing, Tours, Sport & Activities”