Car Hire with copy of licence?

Transport-related questions and comment
ChrisB

Car Hire with copy of licence?

Post by ChrisB »

Hello all, first post on an extremely helpful forum and a very informative website. Well done.

We last visited Tobago 12 years ago (Turtle Beech) and are due to fly out again next week, it'll be interesting to see if things have changed. Yesterday I received a fixed penalty notice for speeding and have to submit my driving licence within seven days, there's no way it'll be back in time for our holiday (complete with three points) :(

I'm trying to negotiate an extension with the relevant Fixed Penalty Office but if that fails I'm faced with the choice of taking a photocopy licence or keeping my original and dealing with a summons when I get home.

Has anyone successfully hired a car on a copy licence in Tobago? I phoned a Hertz UK office and they flatly refused so I'm hoping there's a sensible way round this. It's a big issue for us because 12 years ago I forgot to take my driving licence so we couldn't really explore the island, this time we want to get out and about.

My wife doesn't drive, if I can't solve this one I'm dead meat
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Chris

Welcome aboard! :lol:

Ouch! What a dilemma. I have no personal experience of this, but my best suggestion would be to contact whichever rental firm you're going to use and ask their advice. If you haven't chosen someone, try Yes Tourism - I'm sure they would be glad to phone round the agencies they deal with and see if anyone can come up with a suitable answer.

Just one point: what do you have to return to Fixed Penalty Office - the full printed licence document and/or your photo licence? I only every take my plastic photo licence and that has always seemed to satisfy the rental firms.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Hello Steve,

My licence is the old green paper one so once it goes all I have is the fixed penalty notice to act as a 'licence' until it comes back, fine for the UK.

I'd considered contacting Yes Tourism or Sheppy but wasn't sure if I could explain well enough, I dont want to give the impression that I don't have a licence. I'll give it a try anyway.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Chris,oh dear.Have you tried talking to the department concerned?Otherwise I am sure that Yestourism will do all they can to assist you.
Good luck,David
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

would really check thoroughly on that one. it is not only about the rental to give you the car... what happens if the police stops you in tobago for a routine check and you don't have a license... make sure you can't get in trouble there, too!

keep the fingers crossed, cause the island is sooo worth exploring it!

steph
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

A very good point Brian, one I hadn't thought of.

Following discussion with Bedfordshire Fixed Penalty Office and my local Police I've decided that my licence will be going with me to Tobago. I have e-mailed YesTourism but no reply as yet so I don't know about the photocopy situation.

For anybody else in this position I've discovered that opinions vary as to what you can do depending on which Police force you're dealing with. Beds FPO said that it would take them 28 days to invoke the summons procedure and if they received the licence before the summons was issued they probably wouldn't issue it (despite the licence being late).

The local Police, however, won't accept my licence if it is produced after 7 days so I'll have to produce it but will not be able to surrender it. At least that way I can explain my reasons for not surrendering, these are recorded and sent to Beds FPO. I'll plead guilty by post and detail the mitigating circumstances, with luck I should be looking at an extra £35 or so court costs.

Thanks for the replies, I'll let you know how I get on.
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Chris

I can only agree with the other comments about YES - booked our hire car through them last week and received an automated reply within a few minutes, followed by a personal reply from Tanja a few hours later.

Likewise - I sent some driver's licence, DOB etc info. for an additional driver and Iris @ YES replied within minutes.

Just a reminder that you are required to carry some form of ID with you when driving. I was required to produce ID several years ago and didn't have my drivers' licence or passport on me, so the police patrol followed me back to our accomodation (Scarborough to Lambeau).

I only popped out for a KFC and came back half an hour later with a family bucket, five portions of fries and 3 police officers :shock:
----Only in Tobago----

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

An update. Bärbel Crosby of YesTourism has replied saying that KJ Rentals would accept a copy licence. How helpful is that, I'm very impressed.

It's not clear though whether only KJ would accept it (and the other hire companies wouldn't) so to keep my options open I'll be sticking to my plan and taking my original licence. I'll pop in and see Bärbel when we arrive.

We're staying in a large villa near Turtle Beach and our only plans are to drive somewhere, stay as long as we want, drive back, throw something on BBQ and drink beer. Rinse and repeat for two weeks.

We are really looking forward to this holiday.

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”