What's The Ferry Like?

Transport-related questions and comment
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

What's The Ferry Like?

Post by Joanne Green »

Due to a schedule glitch, we are arriving into Trinidad a day earlier than planned. Because it's the height of Carnival, all flights to Tobago are booked solid. So rather than spending an extra day at Leo's Place, we've decided to take the fast ferry from Port of Spain. How rough is the crossing? We paid extra to be in the cabin. How comfortable is it? Can we buy food on board? Any other comments from those of you who have taken the ferry would be appreciated.
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Re: What's The Ferry Like?

Post by Brian Taylor »

check out what you booked. the fast ferry (2,5 to 3 hours from trinidad to tobago) does not have cabins. it is one large passenger seating area with comfortable seats, mostly indoors with aircon, movie entertainment and food available to buy. the ride from trinidad to tobago is a bit bumpy (so I never walk without gravol).
the only ferry that has cabins takes about five hours and I have no idea what the boat is like....
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Brian -- You're right! The fast ferry only has one class of ticket -- Economy which costs TT50. We're staying at Leo's Place near the airport & he's going to go the day before & buy our tickets. And yes, we will take a motion sickness pill, even though we've never been seasick before. Glad to know that you can buy food, although whether we feel like eating is anyone's guess! Thanks for the info.

Joanne
Brian Taylor
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Brian Taylor »

sometimes it help me to settle my stomach... sometimes they have soup which I rrally like, but they also have pastries, ost of the time fruit, burgers...and drinks. the ride down to trinidad is just fine, anly on the way back I am happy to get off...keep all fingers crossed that you have a calm day...it is going against the currents that makes it a bit shaky ;o)
steph!!! forgot to put that under the last post...
brian NEVER gets seasick!!!
Stephanie & Brian "Alibaba" Taylor
Alibaba-Tours - http://www.Alibaba-Tours.com
Andy K
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Andy K »

Joanne,

don't put up your hopes too high to get a ride on the ferry during carnival.

I spoke to a travel agent on Thursday last week and she told me that EVERYTHING is booked from Carnival Friday right through to Ash Wednesday (included). And she meant ferry service AND flights.
You may get something on standby but don't rely on that. It may just mean hours of waiting in the airport or at the ferry terminal and you may very well end up taking the flight you (hopefully) already booked in advance.

Greetings from Trinidad

Andy
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Dear Andy-
I can't thank you enough for your posting about the fact that the ferry also was fully booked during Carnival! The website states that the tickets don't go on sale until the day before sailing, but I guess all the rules go out the window during Carnival. We stay at Leo's Place & poor Leo was scrambling around trying to find us 2 tickets for the 13th., without luck, I might add. Anyway, we're flying over on the 14th., having bought those tickets months ago. So again, thanks so much.

Joanne

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”