Best "Business Flight" from Europe

Your questions and comment on travel to Tobago
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 18 February 2003

Hello, I once flew with BA on "club super duper" and it was allright, but is there a cheaper way of getting legroom for a trip for Tobago?

Kind regards, Allan.
PS: Please pardon me if this a frequently discussed topic.
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

Yes it is a hot topic but rightly so. check out Information section on the site but in a nutshell - Monarch Airlines premium economy from London Gatwick on a Thursday fits the bill with about 125mm extra legroom and 40mm seat width. Cost varies a bit with seasons but Golden Caribbean quoted me few weeks ago £575 return for a mid May departure via St. Kitts. there are only 51 seats in Premium so be warned to book in good time.
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Hello Ian, Thank you for your hints, I'll check Monarch out... Kind regards, Allan.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 19 February 2003

Just an addendum to Ian's helpful reply. The Monarch flights operate on Saturday as well as Thursday. Prices of standard economy seats on Monarch are around the £400 mark, with Premier (strongly recommended) around £600. Monarch flights are currently sub-contracted to JMC, who are using a lovely long-haul Airbus A330 with extra legroom. Brilliant! Sadly, Golden Caribbean have just confirmed that the service will be returning to the standard Monarch aircraft in early March.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 19 February 2003

Sorry for the lack of clarity in my response it was late and I had a couple of Royal Oak's before going online(one has to maintain standards when it comes to Rum!) My understanding is that from the beginning of May Monarch will withdraw from the Gatwick-Grenada-Tobago route on a Saturday being replaced by Virgin which the Grenadan Govt has switched its support to due to higher potential numbers of visitors provided by the Virgin 747. Monarch will maintain a Thursday flight on the route however on Saturday they will then fly to Tobago via St Kitts which Air 2000 ceased to serve direct last summer thus providing those of us who like twin destination holidays with an option of stopping off in St Kitts en route to Tobago.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 20 February 2003

And there was me thinking that our resident aviation expert was off form! You're quite right, Ian, the new Saturday flights switch to Grenada on 3 May, although for some strange reason fly LGW/SKB/TAB/GND/LGW for the first two weeks, before dropping Grenada on the return and flying direct TAB/LGW from 17 May onwards. As a matter of interest, the Thursday flights via Grenada are £23-£24 cheaper (both classes, all dates) than the Saturday St Kitts flight. As Ian say, St Kitts would make a nice drop-off point. A nice underdeveloped island - although not quite as friendly as Tobago.
Steve Wooler
L Murfet

Post by L Murfet »

Hi, we've just booked a flight with Monarch (via Cosmos Holidays) departing on Thursday 8 May and that goes via Grenada on the way out from Gatwick and then direct on the way home. Monarch have advised there is no pre bookable seats option and no option to upgrade to premium on this flight. Hope that helps.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

You're quite right - Monarch don't operate pre-bookable seat numbers. Some tour operators claim to do so for passengers travelling with them, but a birdie tells me that in practice no seats are pre-allocated. Similarly, some package holidays don't offer Premium/Premier class upgrades - but you can always upgrade when checking-in, subject to availabilty.
Steve Wooler
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

I just need to clarify a couple of points on my previous repsonse. Re pre-booking of seats - passengers CAN prebook seats together at a charge. They cannot choose seat numbers etc, only that they are seated together. They can also now pre-book extra legroom seats on certain flights. There is a charge of £60 return for this, which can only be done through Monarch Customer Services on 01582 xxxxxx* or 01582 398026 up to 4 working days prior to flight. No, Cosmos and other tour operators cannot upgrade to Premium Economy (which I have incorrectly been calling Premier for some time), but you can upgrade at the airport on check-in, outbound or inbound, subject to availability and for £139 per passenger, each way. Steve [myTobago.info]

* number deleted - see following post (thanks, L.Murfet)
Steve Wooler
L Murfet

Post by L Murfet »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 26 February 2003

Hi Steve, just thought I would confirm that I have indeed contacted Monarch on the second number (first number unobtainable) and pre-booked the extra legroom seats at £60 return each. These are the seats in the emergency exits and you need to be between 18-65 and in good health to sit there! Also, you can't have any luggage by your feet. Monarch told me that our two seats will be together. Just a word of advice - when you phone up to book you need to have the flight numbers and your booking reference (if a package holiday). Many thanks again.

Return to “Air Travel & Getting To Tobago”