Route Taxi's, Car Rental and Scooter Rental

Transport-related questions and comment
J. Tomasulo

Route Taxi's, Car Rental and Scooter Rental

Post by J. Tomasulo »

Hi ya'll,

After visiting beautiful Tobago for 36 days, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to rent a car for 7 days, rent a scooter for one and take many route taxi's.

I rented my vehicle from Douglas Apartments where I was staying. I toured all over the Store Bay area to all the different car rental agencies finding the same price for all except Thrifys and one other. They were all with the exception of the two 250TT per day. Rent for 6 days get a 7'th free. I had a Nissan Sunny and it was great. No hassles from the lady I rented it from.

The scooter I rented was for the purpose of touring the lowlands area for places to stay for the next time I visit. It was rented from Sheppy's by the airport. Sheppy's a great guy by the way. From Bon Accord, I toured to Canaan, Lambeau and Scarborough. The little guy flew like the wind (120km max). It cost 10TT to fill up which was unbelievable. The price was 120TT per day with a discount given for more days. And everything is negotiable on the island. I bargained for everyting (lol) since I was on a limited budget. I will definitely buy one out right for the next time as I am going to go for a least 2 to 3 months. In my opinion, the scooter is the way to go if you wanna check out the lowlands area and you have the guts to ride one. Oh and helmets are included.

As far as taxi's, I had a good hike from where I was to the golf course (The Plantations) along Claude Noel Highway. I oped to stay near Store Bay beach with everything around me rather then stay near the golf course. I knew before hand that route taxi's were cheap. I was told by a local to stick my arm out with my hand pointing to the road. That I did pretty much everyday. It was 3TT to the golf course and half the time they gave me rides for free when they found out I was Canadian. It's 5TT to Scarborough and they charge extra if they leave the main road.

That's all for now. Please pm me if you have any questions.

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”