Scooter Rentals?

Transport-related questions and comment
Michelle

Scooter Rentals?

Post by Michelle »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 14 February 2003

We are very excitedly planning our trip to Tobago for the end of March. We will be staying in Charlotteville. Can motor scooters be rented anywhere on the Island for crusing around?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Scooter Rentals?

Post by Steve Wooler »

Post Recreated: Originally posted - 14 February 2003

Hi Michelle

I did make some enquiries about this some months ago and was told that there are no motor scooters available on the island, but there are one or two outlets for small motorbikes. I have no details and it's something I must put on my 'to do' list. I believe that Sheppy ([email protected]) does them and I can highly recommend the service he gives on car rentals. There's a good chance that Tanja of Yes Tourism will scout around and answer your question when she gets back to work on Monday. They use Sheppy's as part of their rental brokerage service, so may know the answer. However, it is pretty certain that you won't be able to hire anything in Charlotteville (car, bike, scooter or bicycle) and its an awfully long way to drive one up the island.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
EricJRW

Post by EricJRW »

Hello Steve,

Any updates on the scooter/moped rental situation on Tobago?

My wife and I will be traveling to Tobago in a couple weeks and would prefer to travel by motorized cycle (our prefered method of transport).

If not, finding a low cost rental might have to be in our picture.

Thank you in advance.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Eric

Sorry, but no further news. As far as I am aware, Sheppy is still the only person/firm offering any form of motorised two wheelers - and I don't know quite what he does offer. I simply noticed mention of them on the Yes Tourism website where they said they were 100cc. So, they are bigger than scooters or mopeds, but not "proper" motorbikes.
Steve Wooler
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Cycle Hire

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Eric

You mention 'motorized cycles' as being your prefered mode of transport.
There is resturant at the pigeon point junction (I can't for the life of me remember the name, but it has a big union jack painted on the side) and they have around a dozen motorized cycles for hire. These are battery powered pedal cycles (you provide the power on the flat and then take it easy going up and down the hills I suppose). Was this what you had in mind?

I fly out tomorrow, so will check out the name and get back to you if this is what you are after.

Cheers
Steve
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Steve

You smug sod! :x I’ve just received an email from a reader telling me that myTobago persuaded him to book a surprise holiday to Tobago next month. Then you go on about flying out tomorrow – and me, I’m having major grief trying to book flights for the dates/class I want for my next trip. I’ve never had to book before October before.

There’s just no justice in this life. I promote the island and then find I can’t go when and where I want!

Anyway, have a good trip and don’t worry about me. I’ll probably get over it. :wink:
Steve Wooler
EricJRW

Post by EricJRW »

Thank you for the replies,

I would prefer a moped/scooter just for the cost/power ratio. The motorized bicycle sounds interesting and might be an alternative, but I don't think it would as fast or as powerful (relatively speaking). I basically want an inexpensive way to get around as quickly as we can, on our own schedule.

Sincerely,

Eric
Tanja Mohammed

Post by Tanja Mohammed »

Hi there

it took me a bit longer than Steve had suggested in his comments but I had to make some more enquiries regarding that subject. The motorcycles that Sheppy rents out are Suzuki 100 cc and they come with helmet and are ok for 2 persons to ride on. They are registered in "R" and are less than one year old (they have between 3000 km and 5000 km). The prices are USD 20 (TTD 120) per day or USD 117 (TTD 700 per week). Please be advised that there is an excess payment of USD 300 (TTD 1800) in case of damages. There is no full CDW coverage available for motorcycle rentals.

Other than that I have also seen the bikes with motor from "The Great Lime Inn", they look ok but rather like a bike. There seem to be some other scooter rentals available around Crown Point area, I have heard of them but have not found them yet. One used to be at Zappadillos Boutique directly at the airport, they seem to have vanished. There used to be one towards the entrance of Pigeon Point (haven't seen them for a while there either),..........

Hope this helps
Tanja - Yes Tourism

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”