Tropikist Views

54 room 2* budget hotel in Crown Point (listing)
Marco

Tropikist Views

Post by Marco »

Well - I'm glad we only stayed 2 nights (11 & 12 Dec 04)

Were there for 16 nights, and thought it easier if we could stay by the airport. Booked via the internet, and when we got there.....NO RECORD of our booking. Luckily (or not maybe) they had a room, but we had to wait 2 hours for it to be ready. Eventually got in at 5pm.

Room itself wasn't too bad - just in need of refurbishment.
Went to the bar that evening and listneed to the 2 singers (which weren't bad) and had a couple of Caribs (not bad price of 10.5 TT$ ea).

Breakfast was....interesting and EXPENSIVE at 11 USD per person. We got there around 9 am, and there was hardly any choice. Had omlette - cooked on an electric ring which the guy didn't even turn on until AFTER he'd put the eggs in the pan.

The staff were just plain lazy - although it seems to me that many of the workers in Tobago are like it. Seems to stem from hurrican Fleur in '64, when they took it as a sign from God they shouldn't be working!

If you stay there - PAY FOR STUFF IN THE CURRENCY IT'S QUOTED. They tried lumbering me with an exchange of 5 TT$ for 1 USD (should be approx. 6.4). So the beers we had in the bar they converted to TT$. The reception staff are obviously not used to doing this - but I paid for my bar tab in TT$, and breakfast in USD.

Chinese next door was fantastic. Meal for 4 with beers and cocktails was 370 TT$ (spent 500 TT$ at Ruby Lou's for 2 of us!).

Hope this is of use to anyone staying.
Marco
Julia C.
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Re: Tropikist Views

Post by Julia C. »

Marco wrote:The staff were just plain lazy - although it seems to me that many of the workers in Tobago are like it. Seems to stem from hurrican Fleur in '64, when they took it as a sign from God they shouldn't be working!
the gardener strimming at 6:00 am - the bin lorry at 6:30 am
Seems to me that by the time you were eating your breakfast, some of the workers in Tobago had been working for at least three hours! :lol:
I can't comment on the Tropikist, haven't stayed there and never will, and I'm sorry that you had a bad experience of Tobago, but from what I saw Tobagoians work as hard as anybody, anywhere else. But sensibly, given the heat, they try to concentrate their work during the cooler parts of the day.

Return to “Tropikist Beach Hotel”