Taxi from Airport

Transport-related questions and comment
Helen Chapman

Taxi from Airport

Post by Helen Chapman »

We are arriving in Tobago for the first time next Wednesday at 4.30pm and wonder if it's ok to rely on getting a taxi from the Airport to our Hotel the Blue Waters Inn as it seems a long way from the Airport. Also are the fares on your page about taxis still fairly current?
Thanks for any help anyone can give
Cheers
Helen
Dr Stefan Rustscheff
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

taxi fares

Post by Dr Stefan Rustscheff »

Dear newbie visitor. Since car rentals come in as low as USD 40/day You might consider that option. A rental car gives You the freedom of the island and I would never visit without a car of my own. The website, and I personally, recommend Sheppy´s. Sheppy will meet and greet You at the airport and driving is easy enough given that one takes care to avoid moving objects in the road such as chickens, sheep, people and potholes. The roads in the southern part of the Island are very good, in the north not always so good, but passable everywhere. There are precious few roads of Tobago which I have not driven. I will be going down on dec 3 myself and have chosen a Suzuki grand vitara...
best wishes
Stefan
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Helen

Welcome aboard! :lol:

I have very great trouble getting hold of the official taxi rates and the figures on the site are over a year old. I've also heard rumours that the taxi services have been getting very greedy and are now charging as much as London taxi cabs, but hope that these stories are exagerated.

My best advise to you - other than confirming Stefan's excellent suggestion - is to ask the Blue Waters Inn to arrange a taxi for you. They have a couple of local Speyside guys they use and I've heard good reports of them. This way you will be sure of getting someone good and reliable and at a fair charge, whereas if you just grab someone from the rank outside the terminal, you just don't know what you will be getting.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Annabelle Oconnell

Post by Annabelle Oconnell »

Hello there

As visitor of the Blue Waters Inn two years in a row I would certainly back what Steve is saying - we have always had a great service in booking taxis via the hotel. Price was fine - they will quote you when you ask; peace of mind also when you arrive after your long journey.

It's a fairly long drive, but I always love it as it gives me the chance to soak in the atmosphere, let it all sink in, and admire the wonderful views...

I really wish I was off there :) have a wonderful time
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Hi Helen,I agree with Steve and Anabelle and ask BWI to arrange a car,it will be far easier.As for car hire,as you will be arriving late afternoon it will be near dark before you get out of the airport and be full night long before you arrive at BWI.I would not recommend that you drive to Speyside in the dark on the "wrong" side of the road as soon as you arrive.The road is difficult enough in the daytime even when one knows it.
David(21 days to go :lol: :lol: )
Kevin Hampson
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Kevin Hampson »

Hi Helen,
Fully agree with Dave. The road up to BWI is not for the faint hearted after a long flight. its a bit narrow and twisty and there are also a few bits of the road past Delaford that still being fixed from the land slides last year so they are a bit rough as well. Even after 3 years of going up to BWI and knowing the roads I still prefer to get a taxi than drive from the airport.

We book a taxi through BWI and the fair the from the airport is $45 US(+ a tip if you pay the driver directly), don't ask me why, we were charged US$ the first year. Make sure you wait at the airport for the right driver the other guys on the taxi rank may try and get you to use a local Crown Point cab

Regards
Kevin
Helen Chapman

Many Thanks!

Post by Helen Chapman »

Hi Folks
Thanks to all for your quick and helpful replies, I have just emailed the BWI asking them to book the Taxi for us....
Only one week to go, we can hardly wait
Cheers
Helen

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”