BE SURE TO READ THE SMALL PRINT AND CLARIFY BEFORE SIGNING

Transport-related questions and comment
Tiff Lynch

BE SURE TO READ THE SMALL PRINT AND CLARIFY BEFORE SIGNING

Post by Tiff Lynch »

Not teaching anyone to suck eggs or anything, but I am speaking from experience... When hiring any vehicle be sure to read and clarify any details regarding excess liabilty and the cost that you may incurr..with the dealership.
Unfortunately we were involved in a car accident where a car "bounced" us from the rear!! The Police, I have to say dealt with the matter fantastically, if a little laid back in comparrison to over here in dealing with paperwork. But they got it done after daily visits to the Police Station.
Due to the wording of one of the stipulations "The hirer will pay the excess in the event of Neglect, Damage, Theft etc etc" The dealer felt that I should pay the excess. This was because it didn't state on his agreement, that it had to be someone elses fault!! Fine, I say, if I had been the cause of the accident. but I wasn't and the Police stated in their inverstigation that I wasn't.. The laws over there are much the same as here in relation to vehicle accidents. I have spoken to a number of dealers who have the same wording who agreed, that if the accident had been my fault, I pay. If not, then you are not liable to pay the excess. That is what the dealer has their insurance for. At the end of the day they just want their car back on the road.
What I am trying to say is.
Go to a reputable company. There are plenty to choose from.
Read the forms carefully and before signing anything ensure all the drivers details are on the agreement.
Out there people do damage vehs, check the condition of the vehicle before signing.
Do not pay anything if you have in the Police report that you were not liable for the damage.
I could have spent a lot of money in paying the excess if I hadn't taken advice from locals.
Always carry the hire docs and ur driving licence.
Oh and please dont drink and drive over there, it's hard enough to drive safe sober.
Other than that happy driving and no bouncing we hope....
Claude Soulodre

Post by Claude Soulodre »

Hi Tif,
I couldn't help but notice the conspicuous absence of the name of the rental company in your posting. Any chance of finding out who you had rented from? We are heading to Tobago on Jan. 13 and have a car booked with what we understand to be an excellent local car hire co. but would appreciate knowing who you rented from while you were there.
Thanks for any info.
Cheers,
Claude Soulodre
Tiff Lynch

Post by Tiff Lynch »

Hi Claude,

Good to hear that you will be out there in the New Year. I will be too. I have left the name of the company out of this for a few reasons. One being that the site does not like unsubstantiated blame etc. This I hope was an isolated incident. The person I dealt with I have been assured has learnt his lesson in trying to fleece tourists. The firm that I can say who is extremely well rated on this site and also helped me out with advice is Sheppy. There are other good reputable firms there too. Please dont think that they are all that bad. Sorry not give you the name u would like. To be fair I believe he deals under various company names. It was booked thru our holiday company, these I can say have now taken him off their list. It's just that I am back in ten days. A face that is remembered like mine as I am out there often is an easy target for that person who may wish to cause trouble again for me. All I can say is please read the small print and get everything signed. Most importantly treat every other driver on the roads as the worst.... Do that and u should be ok. No bouncing and no excess problems. Please dont let it put u off either. The island is fab, the people just the best, the sun, wonderful, the diving out of this world. My 5th visit this year. It has to be good.... If you would like more info on the island etc you can mail me [email protected].
Have a fantastic holiday.
Tiffany

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”