Birds from Venezuela?

Questions and comments about birding and rainforest tours
Romana

Birds from Venezuela?

Post by Romana »

A consultant of mine told me of a preserve where her and husband watched birds come fly in from Venezuela in the evenings. They were there over 10 years ago and she cannot remember exactly what or where they went. . . hopefully someone can help! Thanks. :)
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Romana

Sounds like it could be the Caroni Swamp Bird Sanctuary, where you will see the spectacular Scarlet Ibis.

Please don't take me the wrong way, but can I just mention that this forum and site are strictly about Tobago and Tobago only. Trinidad has done nothing but dump on Tobago throughout its history (not that England was any better before it handed it over in 1889) and a large percentage of Trinis treat the island in a manner that frankly disgusts me. I could fill this forum with stories of the horrors committed by Trinis on holiday on the island - no wonder an increasing number of villa and guesthouse owners refuse bookings from Trinis. I provide the resources of this website with love for Tobago - but with an increasing bitterness and resentment towards Trinidad.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Romana

Post by Romana »

Very heartfelt response Steve! I didn't realize that the bird sanctuary is on the island of Trinidad. Now that I think about it, I think she did say that they were in both Trinidad and Tobago. We will be flying into Trinidad; my cousin and her husband recently relocated there from Spain this December - her husband is an engineer for an oil company. We will be on Trinidad for one night before flying out. I find that very interesting about how the Trini's treat Tobago. I appreciate your candor, thank you.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Let me stress, SOME Trinis. I know a huge number of really wonderful Trinidadians (but admit that most of those now live/work in Tobago or overseas). They are the first to condemn the rather large element of home-based Trinis who seem to consider Tobago as a holiday island there to be plundered.

In our accommodation listings, you will notice two distinct categories of hotels. One group primarily caters for overseas visitors; the other - which you will hardly ever see mentioned in the forum - caters for mid/low-market Trinis. Lets just say that everything that can be removed is either non-existant or chained to the floor in one group.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Birdwatching & Rainforest”