Guest Report

3 beachside apartments in Castara (listing)
Carloline Ladd

Guest Report

Post by Carloline Ladd »

The beach house is in a stunning location, right on the beach, but beware it is very noisy, especially when the sea is rough!!
Since there is no glass in the windows, we found the moisture from the sea and air made the bed and soft furnishing very damp.
Also, the mosquitoes were quite a nusince.No hot water in kitchen or bathroom sinks so had to boil saucepans, which again was a pest.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Carloline

You posted this during a time that we were experiencing problems with our main notebook computer and have only just spotted the post.

I’m so disappointed that your experiences of the Beach House are so different to our own. We had the pleasure of staying there just two weeks ago. We are now over half way through our 2006 reviews and with seven reviews under our belt and three more to go, I have to tell you that Coconut Heights is undoubtedly a major highlight of our current tour.

As I believe I say in our review, the Beach House will not suit everyone. That comment equally applies to the vast majority of accommodation in Castara and similar villages around Tobago. This style of wooden house is intentional very open in order to prevent build-ups of heat. Tobago has wonderful cooling breezes and with this architectural style, the houses keep wonderfully cool throughout the heat of the day and make air-conditioning absolutely unnecessary. Sadly, the ‘downside’ of this, from the perspective of some people, is that you must be prepared to share your accommodation with birds, bats and insects.

Noisy? Yes, but what’s the point of choosing a beachside property if you do not relish the sound of the breaking surf? Most people would consider this a major feature of their holiday, surely?

Damp? Well, it is true to say that the high relative humidity here can make things seem a little damp in comparison to what we are used to in the UK. I have to say, however, that we found absolutely no traces of damp in the property during our recent stay – and believe you me, we sniff in every cupboard and drawer looking for signs of damp and rot.

Mosquitoes? Yes, they can be a problem. However, we found that Coconut Heights was far better equipped in this regard than most accommodation properties. A collection of small citronella candles and a few mosquito coils were provided, together with a really effective mosquito net on the bed. To be honest, we didn’t bother to use them. We simply followed our own advice, as detailed in our Insects article (menus: Odds & Sods/Health Matters) and had no more problem than anywhere else.

Cold Water? Yes, like the vast majority of accommodation in this price bracket and, if memory serves me correctly, every place we have reviewed in Castara and most Tobago villages, the apartments are only plumbed for hot water in the shower. This is perfectly normal.

I don’t mean to be facetious, but perhaps you might prefer the Hilton should you return to Tobago.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Beach House”