with car to Trinidad

Transport-related questions and comment
Twies

with car to Trinidad

Post by Twies »

Anyone knows what company allows you to drive in T&T and Tobago ?
With the super good new cheap fast Lynx boat services there should be a few that allow this .. not ?
I've heard that Econo doesn't allow it and they operate on both Ilands ?
Tomás
webmaster: http://trinidad-tobago.startpagina.nl/
Twies

Post by Twies »

ok

Just heard that you ARE allowed to go with a rental from Trinidad to Tobago.
Someone has just done that using the new lynx boats.
( Econocar)
Did anyone drive already the other way ?
D. Gould
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by D. Gould »

i always rent with econocar in trinidad, and at the time they did not allow you to travel to tobago with the rental vehicle. if you can rent in tobago, and travel to trinidad with the car, then that is probably a new thing. i would love to hear from the person that actually did that. i have enquired and got no as an answer. also other family members who rent with econocar have gotten no as well.

this would be a good thing, if it is so.
Gisela Grell
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Gisela Grell »

Hi together, especially to granny :wink:

My experiences are the same. I rent a car from Shermans Auto Rental last year October (in fact I won it at the competition) :D and they told me that it is not allowed to take the car to Trinidad. But everything else with Shermans was perfect.

Good luck with your car experiences

Cheers

Gisela (12 days to go)
D. Gould
Tobago Guru
Tobago Guru

Post by D. Gould »

i think that it is an insurance issue perhaps, one government, but 2 physical locations, i am not sure. that would be too nice to be able to bring a rental from trinidad into tobago, especially for us island-hoppers who go back and forth. i live for that day. if the person who did this could let us know which company allows this, it would be good information. i have loads of people to give the info to, who come to trinidad, and rent on arrival at piarco. They go to tobago for a time, and then they return to trinidad. all have asked that question, and all have gotten a no as a response.

in the past, i would park my rental at piarco, fly to tobago for some days, and return and get the car. that leaves me paying for unused days, and vehicle-less in tobago. i just don't like to turn the car in, and be told that there are no rentals when i return from tobago, so i park it and commute.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey gisela, i got your email, and typed a long response, but it was returned undelivered to your lycos.de address. i sent from my work and my personal email accounts. maybe a problem with the site? i did not want you to think i did not reply. i will try again. -- Granny
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Guys

A little birdie tells me that very few, if any, car rental firms on Tobago will allow you to take the car over to Trinidad. The reason is they earn their living from those cars and don't want them stolen while you are over their. Car theft if virtually unknown on Tobago, but Trinidad is a different story.

Of course attitudes are rather different the other way around.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Norman

Post by Norman »

In addition to actually finding a rental company willing to let you take the car to Trinidad, remember that you are supposed to bring either proof of ownership of the car, or a written statement from the owner that you can bring it.
Dema

Post by Dema »

Hi,

Does anyone know: are the Sherman rates on their website inclusive of 15% VAT? I asked them by e-mail but they didn't respond.

Thanks,
Dema
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Dema

Welcome aboard! :lol:

I'm afraid I don't know, for sure. However, Sherman's is a very reputable company and I'm sure they wouldn't be misleading the public by quoting VAT-exclusive prices. I'm surprised that you haven't had a reply - they are normally very prompt. I would suggest that your email didn't get through and/or it was going to the wrong address. Try them again at [email protected]
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”