Parking

Transport-related questions and comment
Shelly D

Parking

Post by Shelly D »

We will be staying in Castara for a few days at the end of January, and will rent a vehicle. I'm wondering what the parking situation/protocol is at area beaches and scenic places. For example, I have an interest in exploring the Speyside area, perhaps leaving the car there and taking a boat from there to Little Tobago. I'm sure there will be others. I'm more interested in the beaches up the coast as opposed to the big, heavily populated ones. Are there places you should never park (such as restaurant lots or hotel parking lots) - or is it wherever you can find a spot?

Are there any security concerns for the vehicle I should be aware of?

Thanks! I am so looking forward to this trip to Tobago!!!
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Shelly

Parking your hire car is pretty much a common sense thing.

If you park courteously and don't block the road, or access to people's houses or land, then a pretty casual attitude is taken to where to park up.

Parking on private lots, such as resturants and /or hotels is basically down to the owner. Most would be OK with you using the parking lot, but perhaps not unreasonably expect you to patronise their establishment for a meal or drink.

If anyone were to park up and leave the car for a long period and wander off on a boat trip etc. then whilst I doubt that the vehicle will be towed away or clamped, as most parking lots are small, then this would deter other visitors and clients from stopping and perhaps reduce the trade for that day - not good news for the owner.

Often you can park up pretty close to the smaller beaches up North, but if it means parking a few minutes walk away and doing so thoughtfully, then you also have the peace of mind that you aren't causing an obstruction and pissing off the local folks.

Car security is covered in the health and security section, here -
http://www.mytobago.info/security.php but in general -
don't leave any tempting valuables, like a camera or wallet in view in the car - Lock the car up when you leave it and only ever give lifts to people who you feel you can trust e.g school kids and/or the elderly etc.

Cheers
Steve
Take only photos - leave only footprints. I like that concept.
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Hi shelly--

The boats that go out to Little Tobago Island have their ticket kiosks in the parking lot of the Blue Waters Inn, so of course you can park there. I'd recommend Frank's Glass Bottom Boats, which go out at 10 AM & 2 PM. Cost was about US$20 when we were there 2 yrs. ago. We're going to go again next month, & I figure the price to be just a little more than that now. Places like Englishman's Bay have an area that is obviously for cars, so there's no problem. We never found it difficult to park on Tobago.

Have a great vacation! You'll love Castara! I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Joanne
Shelly D

Post by Shelly D »

Thank you. This was very helpful. I was imagining winding roads, beautiful scenery... and possibly no place to safely pull over. It's always good to know what to expect (and what's expected) ahead of time.

looking forward to the adventure!

Shelly
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Hi Shelly--

You're right about the winding roads! They're especially challenging for us Yanks who drive on the "wrong side" of the road!! I hope you rented an automatic transmission car, cause shifting with the left hand is quite difficult. In the UK, I always kept shoving it into 3rd. rather than 1st. gear!

In regards to taking the boat -- don't forget to wear your bathing suit, since you'll be snorkeling also. Try to get to Speyside for the morning run. We didn't allow enough time from Castara (no matter what the locals say, it takes 1 1/4 hrs. to get to the Blue Waters), and had to do the PM run. The hike on Little Tobago was terribly hot! This time, we're going to forego the hike & do 2 snorkeling areas instead.

Enjoy,
Joanne
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Shelly D wrote:Thank you. This was very helpful. I was imagining winding roads, beautiful scenery... and possibly no place to safely pull over.
Shelly
Hi again Shelley

There are winding roads and beautiful scenery in abundance and rather conveniently, plenty of pull-ins at most of the beaches and viewpoints.

The major exeption to the above is Pirates Bay - Charlotteville.
If you check out the beaches and bays section on the myTobago site (there is a drop-down if you put your cursor over 'out and about' at the top of this page), you'll notice that it is strongly recommended that you do not try to access this beach by car, but park up in the village and walk over the hill and down the steps to the beach. There are also a number of local fishermen who would take you on the short boat ride to the bay from the jetty / dock.

Well worth the walk, but pace yourself on the way back up those steps :D
Shelly D

Post by Shelly D »

Joanne & Steve - thank you both so much for sharing your expertise!

I'm sorry to say it, but here in No California, the danger of leaving your car along scenic Highway 1 as you amble down to a lovely stretch of beach is that thieves will break into it anyway they can and steal whatever they can. This is in the more isolated areas - along our stunning winding coastal highway. I hear that Tobago is different that way, and perhaps hiding your valuables in the car, out of sight, is enough. I don't intend to leave any valuables in the car, but my concern was more for the safety of the rental car itself (and my liability for it). I intend to make sure I have full insurance coverage but still - who wants to come back and find it damaged... or missing (!) That was more the point of my question about security.

I'm now just reading posts from folks who say don't drive at night - no lights on the roads, potholes, animals & people suddenly coming into your headlights etc. Sunset is around 6:10 - which is pretty limiting; and Castara takes some time to get back to.

I'm wondering what your opinion is on this matter. I'm pretty nervous about the whole left-hand side of the road thing as it is. But I don't want to build my days around having to be home by 6pm. What's your experience/opinion about that?

Shelly D.
Santa Cruz, CA
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Hi Shelly--

We didn't drive at night because we find it hard enough during the day to judge where the car is on the road when we drive on the left. But it was really no problem. There's plenty of restaurants in Castara so that you don't have to drive after dark. Just enjoy the beautiful scenery during the day! If you didn't have a car, I would think being in Castara would be difficult, as public transportation isn't that reliable.

Joanne

P.S. Feel free to email me directly if you have any more questions. Just look on my profile.
Steve Pitts
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Steve Pitts »

Hi Shelley

I wouldn't worry about the car being stolen. You have more chance of seeing snow during your holiday than finding the car missing. Car break-ins aren't unheard of, so lock anything you aren't taking with you in the trunk.

The coast roads around the North and Castara are not as well maintained as the roads around (say) the Crown Point area - and they have some pretty spectacular potholes to say the least.

Driving at night, on unfamiliar roads and on the 'wrong side of the road' is never for the faint hearted, so if you are only staying in Castara for a couple of days, then it would be advisable to head back at around 4:30pm and settle down on Castara beach with a cold beer and watch the sun sink into the sea. Join in with a football or cricket game (you don't know the rules? Don't worry you'll soon pick it up) and you'll also have some time to practice liming with the locals.
Don't waste this special time of day couped up in a car 8)

Driving during the day - you are likely to encounter pedestrians anywhere along the roads, as local folk will walk for miles to get to school, or to see family etc. and goats and cattle are often tethered by the side of the road for grazing, often well away from home. Chickens are free-range and dogs will often fall asleep in the middle of the roads.

All of this, and the nature of the roads themselves (potholes, blind bends, narrow / steep sections) just means that a little caution and not too much speed are required. I would imagine that it will be different from driving on Californian highways.

I love driving around Tobago - but I'm a Brit and we drive on the wrong side too :D so perhaps I have an advantage. The roads in UK are also full of holes, so maybe that's one of the reasons I feel so at home there.

Have fun
Steve
Peter Kuhn

Post by Peter Kuhn »

Hi Shelly,
I can confirm Steve's last post.
In my oppinion american drivers would have no problem with driving ''on the wrong site''.
To custumize this way to drive you need not a long time.
I know that americans driving not so fast like crazy german's (like me :wink: ..sometimes).
Driving in the dark is a little bit different, it's up where you driving.
At the Crown Point area till Mt. Irvine there is enough light by the roads, if you drive at the country site it's verry dark.
Especially driving by hard rain showers you have to drive carefully, you can't see any pothole.

If some local driver in your back (when it looks like he want's to visite your trunk :wink: ) at small roads, then give him by next chance to pass a litte sign and enjoy your ride.

I wish you a save drive
& enjoy your stay 8)

Peter
Clyde Alleyne
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Driving around Castara after dark

Post by Clyde Alleyne »

The roads around Castara are quite hilly and winding, so my suggestion for you would be not to drive after dark until you have become more familiar with things like blind corners, potholes, road repairs etc to look out for. I have been to Tobago quite a few times and still make wrong turns sometimes (even during the day) while driving between Plymouth and Castara, and between Scarborough and Castara. The good thing is that the locals are very friendly and if you stop and ask nicely for directions they will gladly point you the right way. After a few days you'll feel more comfortable and will know when you're ready to venture out after dark.

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”