Driving at night

Transport-related questions and comment
EllieMarlow

Driving at night

Post by EllieMarlow »

I've noticed that Steve recommends not driving at night outside the South lowlands area, so does anyone know what time it gets dark in Tobago (in October)?
As our hotel is a bit out of the way, we planned on driving to restaurants in the evening, Scarborough being the nearest town. We've both had experience of driving in the Carribean, but not at night.
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hello Ellie. It gets dark very quickly between 17:30 and 18:30 pretty much all year round, but a weather watching-Tobago expert will be more accurate than this rough guide. Steve's advice often errs on the side of caution since he cares about people's safety, but the main things to watch out for when driving at night are headlights on full beam blinding you, occasional drunk drivers etc, vehicles without lights etc ie all the things that are dangerous on Welsh/UK roads but more common! My wife and I are essentially British and have never had any problems driving at night in Tobago. Finally, if you are a lone woman observe the usual safety precautions you would here - lock doors, don't give lifts to strangers, park in roads or outside restaurants with people around etc. Enjoy the experience but take a little more care than normal and don't get sucked into the drink driving mentality that some people will tell you is OK "as this is Tobago man". Regards, Glyn
Glyn Kirpalani
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Driving at Night

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Ellie

Glyn is spot-on. I assume you were referring to a post I made, but don’t actually remember ever having advised anyone not to drive at night. Where did you spot that? If I did say that – or if my wording was “off” and could lead to that impression, I need to change the wording.

No, I have driven in most parts of Tobago at night and consider it no less safe than anywhere. Yes, common sense. Glyn’s recommendations say it all.

Enjoy!

Oops! I’ve spotted where you got that from – in the main site. I’m going to amend that because it is a little harsher than it needs to be. :oops:
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
EllieMarlow

Post by EllieMarlow »

Thanks Glyn and Steve,
That's really helpful. I've driven in Jamaica before , and so used to the speed that people drive at, regardless of pot holes, cows and the like; and this sounds pretty similar. (Sometimes driving on Welsh/UK roads, as you say Glyn, isn't exactly a bundle of laughs!)
Well, off now to trawl the car rental section.
Thanks again,
Ellie

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”