Car Hire on Island - Age Limits/Documents?

Transport-related questions and comment
Jolene A

Car Hire on Island - Age Limits/Documents?

Post by Jolene A »

Hi all, ive been reading through all the great information on the site, but i have a query about hiring a car on the island.

Me and my boyfriend are hoping to fly out to Tobago in June, but we're not quite sure exactly where to go and what to do just yet, so havent booked a hire car in the UK. We were however wondering if we can just book a car when we get there, possibly through the hotel (we're staying at the Coco Reef), and if so, are there any age limits or minimum experience needed to hire out a vehicle, and what documents would be needed?

Many thanks,

Jo :)
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hello Jolene

Welcome aboard! :lol:

You'll have no problem renting a car while you are out there in June. Yes, you can hire via the hotel, but expect to pay a little more. Your best alternative is to read our articles on car hire (menu: Tobago/Getting Around/Car Hire) and then take a few numbers with you. I would particularly recommend the Yes Tourism car rental brokerage firm and their offices are just a two minute walk from the airport (green building on the opposite side of the road, as you head back towards the airport. Upper floor, front office facing the road and airport).

The only real restriction is that drivers must be 25 or over and hold a full licence. Your British photo driving licence is the only documentation you will need.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Jolene A

Post by Jolene A »

Many thanks for the info Steve. I think we would have deffinetly liked to of had the option of travelling the island by car, but we are both in our early 20's, so unfortunately don't meet the age requirements. Never mind, i shall check out your info on taxis and busses, and see what i can find out.

Many thanks once again,

Jo
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Don't dispair - if you've held a licence for two years or more, its clean and you have had no accidents, you might be able to persuade one of the firms to rent. I know it does happen. Again, somebody like YT will ring around and do their best to help, I'm sure.
Steve Wooler
Jolene A

Post by Jolene A »

Ah so theres still hope for us yet! Thats good to know, at least we may have the option once we're out there. Would be lovely to travel around the island and take it all in. Great stuff Steve, thanks again! :D
Tony Gibson

car hire

Post by Tony Gibson »

Steve,
I have booked a car from Sheppy's Auto Rental Ltd in April, you mentioned that you may require a photo licence, eh, I am at an age where my tatered old licence does not hold a photograph, do they accept your passport as proof with the licence. :?
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Tony

Yes, that will be no problem!
Steve Wooler
Tony Gibson

Post by Tony Gibson »

Thanks Steve, these may seem like idiotic questions to you but this is the first time I have arranged a holiday over the net or gone outside of Europe. :shock:
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

No sweat, Tony - and after this trip I can guarantee it won't be your last. :wink:
Steve Wooler
Tony Gibson

car insurance

Post by Tony Gibson »

Steve, having read the very long threads about hire car insurance, can I talk to a sensible head, (or Grey Beard)
I have arranged with Sheppey’s to hire a jeep, I will be paying by traveller’s cheque not my card, can you advise what the best procedure to take for insurance.
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Less of the grey, you cheeky sod - its sun bleached. :cry:

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "what's the best procedure". Do you mean the choice of basic insurance or CDW? Well, to be honest, that's really a matter of personal preference and opinion and how much risk you're prepared to take. The sensible advice has got to be to pay the extra and take out full CDW that will protect you (with Sheppy's) from all liability. All I can say is that I don't always take my own advice.
Steve Wooler
Mike Rudderham

Age not such an issue

Post by Mike Rudderham »

Hi. We've just come back from our first rip to the island and rented a small Jeep through Sheppy. Before we arrived I asked if our 21 year old daughter would be able to drive and was advised if she had 3 years experience she would be OK, which was all fine. No problems with her age, no evidence was requested on her driving history, it was all quite painless. Nor were there any issues with the old non-photo bearing licences that my wife and I had.

Sheppy is a delight to deal with - very straight forward, good car, good ate, very friendly and helpful. I can thoroughly recommend him.

Mike
Andy Roberts
Getting Hooked
Getting Hooked

Car Hire - Sheppy's

Post by Andy Roberts »

We returned from Tobago yesterday having hired our car through Sheppy via email. The car was delivered by Sheppy who met us at the Airport. We opted for the full CDW which proved to right thing to do following an accident on the last Thursday of our holiday.
I was T-boned by a van coming out of the Store Bay Local road. After the exchanging of details and a visit to the Crown Point Police station, I returned the car to Sheppy as the damage made it impossible to shut the drivers side window he promptly dealt with a replacement car and within 5 mins we were away with a new vehicle leaving him to deal with culprits.

We have no hesitation in recommending Sheppy and will be using him again in the future.
I would recommend CDW as some are a little mad with there driving!

Caroline Roberts
GillMathews
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Sheppy`s car rental

Post by GillMathews »

I returned a week ago after my three week holiday. As always my holiday was fabulous and very relaxing. Already counting down to the next one in May!! I used my competition prize of car rental with Colin Sheppy and then kept the car for a second week.He is a great guy and offered very good service. The car, a Nissan Almera was spotless, comfy,easy to drive and had the added bonus of a ten CD changer to accomodate most of my Marley, assorted reggea and soca tunes 8) He deserves my wholehearted recomendation.I will certainly go to him again.
Gill.
Lauri Hytti

Post by Lauri Hytti »

I was just curious, but would a full Finnish drivers license be sufficient to rent a car as well? Any1 happen to know?

Lauri
Patrick Dankou
Tobago Business
Tobago Business

Post by Patrick Dankou »

Hi Lauri,
yes, your finnish drivers license is sufficient.
Patrick Dankou
Yes Tourism - http://www.Yes-Tourism.com

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”