4 wheel drive

Transport-related questions and comment
Jeanne E

4 wheel drive

Post by Jeanne E »

Does it make sense to pay more and get a 4 wheel drive vehicle? We want to explore the whole island but we will take a guided tour of the rain forest. Are the other roads easier to travel with a 4 wheel vehicle?
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Jeanne

Without wishing to be a snob, I'm used to 'proper' 4x4s and these recycled bean-cans that they rent out on Tobago are the epitome of style over function. You can't travel in them without banging your elbows with your neighbour, which I find particularly disconcerting when navigating narrow country roads. The only thing to be said for them is that higher driving position is slightly better from a viewing point of view. You certainly don't need the facilities of a 4x4 on the public roads - and if you leave the road and try any dirt roads, you are not covered by insurance so taking a big chance.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Joanne Green
Oh, so Sad!
Oh, so Sad!

Post by Joanne Green »

Hi Jeanne-
I agree with Steve. We rented a regular car both time & never had any problems, even on the dirt road that leads to Cuffie River Resort! It's also great for us "Yanks" that it doesn't cost any more to rent an automatic than a stick shift, since trying to shift with your left hand is a definite challange unless you're used to doing it! And the gas isn't that expensive & the island isn't very big, so the slight decrease in MPG with an automatic isn't an issue. Rent from Sheppy. He's the best!!

Joanne
Jeanne E

Post by Jeanne E »

Thanks for the info. I think we will stick with one of the saloon cars ( is this term British, or Tobagoan? haven't heard it before) I think you recommended the Nissan Almera Steve, maybe we'll try that one. Once again I love the web site. I will be spoiled on the next trip we plan because I doubt there will be one like this. Bonaire Talk was pretty good for the forum part, but didn't have much else. I thought it was great at the time, but it doesn't compare to yours.
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Jeanne,saloon car is general term given to a two or four door 4/5 seater car in UK (and most of the civilized world :wink: ),and not being pedantic but the word you wanted was Tobagonian.
Have great time,my preference for car hire is KCNN
David(70 days and 48mins to take off :D )
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Jeanne

According to Wikipedia....
In North American English and American Spanish, the term sedan is used.

In British English the configuration is called a saloon and has its engine under the bonnet at the front, and a boot for luggage at the rear. The British English term is sometimes used by British car manufacturers in the United States. For example, the Rolls-Royce Park Ward was sold as a saloon in the United States, while the smaller Silver Seraph was called a sedan.

In Australia and New Zealand, the American term sedan is used, albeit with the British terms boot and bonnet being retained. In other languages, sedans are known as berline (French), Berlina (Spanish, European Portuguese, Romanian, and Italian); although these terms also may include hatchbacks. These terms, besides sedan, derive from types of horse-drawn carriages. In German, the term Limousine is used for sedans whereas the term Stretch-Limousine is used for limousines.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Bill B
Tobago Anorak
Tobago Anorak

Post by Bill B »

David,

Are you implying that this side of the pond is not civilized because for us a saloon is a drinking establishment and not an automobile :lol: I'm sure you know what a drinking establishment is. %*}

Bill
Can't wait to be "limin"

Tobago 2007 Pictures at
http://billbrunner.myphotoalbum.com/
David Watkins
Bude Cool Boy
Bude Cool Boy

Post by David Watkins »

Would I ever :roll:
Jeanne E

Post by Jeanne E »

David,
I struggled with the "tobogonian" trying several spellings and picked the wrong one. Thanks for the pictures. I can see the first ones that come up but when I pick a specfic topic, I can't seem to get anything. It may be my computer set-up here at work. I will try at home.
Thans to you and Steve for the education in auto terminology! I was hoping a saloon car would come with a stocked bar. :wink:

Return to “Car Rental & Public Transport”