Tropikist Hotel

54 room 2* budget hotel in Crown Point (listing)
Steve Davis

Tropikist Hotel

Post by Steve Davis »

:D Me and my girlfriend will be staying all-inclusive at the Tropikist Hotel in late September. Although I have read nearly every review of this hotel on this site which seem to be all very bad, I have however, read excellent reviews on such sites as 'tripadvisor.com'. This is my first holiday abroad in 6 years and I can't wait! Im confident that the Tropikist Hotel will provide me with a great holiday location, but i will be posting my thoughts here after the holiday.
Steve Wooler
myTobago Editor & Chief Anorak

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Steve

To be honest, it all depends upon what you are expecting and what you are comparing the hotel with. It may not be in the prettiest of locations, but the Tropikist has a convenient central location, a very good pool and the rooms are spacious and good value for money. Criticism of the hotel always mentions the same things – linen/cleanliness, staff attitude (highly variable), catering (bland/same/very slow service) and management’s attitude (should you have the temerity to complain about anything).

There is some evidence that the Tropikist has taken a long serious look at themselves since our forum was launched and reports indicate that they seem to be making a genuine effort to correct their shortcomings. I hope that this is the case and wish them every success. I look forward to your reports hopefully confirming this.

No hotel in the world is going to satisfy everyone. Even the very “best” hotels suffer from ‘professional’ complainers. On the other hand, many people are so captivated by Tobago that they ignore a few shortcomings with their accommodation and return home with nothing but fond memories. I’m sure you will find the same.

Incidentally, it is always best to treat “personal reviews” expressing very strong criticism OR praise with a pinch of salt. Also, be wary of sites that do not validate the identity of “reviewers” – we know from bitter experience just how often unscrupulous business managers (hello Tropikist) and malicious visitors and business competitors use these sites to praise their own establishment and/or criticise competitors. That is why we insist upon registration and email validation. Neither are we a commercial site dependent upon advertising income from the very hotels that our readers are commenting on. You would be surprised how often negative comment “disappears” from these sites, even when they claim to be offering unbiased comment.

Anyway, I’m sure you will have a great trip and please be sure to let us know how you get on.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
Steve Davis

Post by Steve Davis »

Thanks for the comments, Steve. I'll sure let you know either way. Also, I know it's been said a few times on the site, but this is an excellent site for Tobago information...a great job well done!
LauraMaharaj

Post by LauraMaharaj »

Hey Steve, I will be staying there in early OCT. It will be interesting to see how our reports compare!! Godd luck and have fun on your vacation.
Steve Davis

Post by Steve Davis »

Hi!
Yeah - it will be interesting to see how our results compare. I won't post my comments until mid October, just so you dont get over excited in anticipation or depressed!! Personally, I can't wait...getting quite hyper about going...really looking forward to going somewhere so cool!!

Hope you have a great and safe time!
LauraMaharaj

Post by LauraMaharaj »

actually Steve, i have been to tobago, back in july, a whole group of us, first time too and i live in trinidad. Its d best, i feel i could relocate. But we stayed in a small guesthouse so i am looking forward to the real hotel scene, if u know what i mean. But yr in for a treat. Make sure and visit storebay and do the whole reef, nylon pool thing...........it is amazing!!
Steve Davis

Post by Steve Davis »

I'm just looking forward to kicking back for a week. I've heard so many great reports of how lovely Tobago is, and how extra friendly the people are there...just can't wait. Yep, looking forward to the hotel too - I'm not to bothered by what's been said about the hotel, I'm sure it's gonna be a great place...sure looks great from their site!!! I know what you mean!
Ren B.

Tobago & Tropikist Hotel

Post by Ren B. »

Hi,

I'm Ren B. from Barbados and I just returned from a brief vacation in Trinidad & Tobago. I heard so much about Tobago and how "beautiful" it is... Let me put it this way, the people are great, the food is good (especially at Melange!) but watch out for the MOSQUITOES and TROPIKIST HOTEL! I cannot believe with all the outbreaks of dengue fever in the caribbean that Tobago's health officials have nothing in place to deal with the SERIOUS mosquito situation!

As for the Tropikist Hotel... BAD BAD BAD... I would not advise my worst enemy to stay there. Steve, I think you should really try another hotel... Tropikist is definitely not a good choice!
Glyn Kirpalani
Tobago Fanatic
Tobago Fanatic

Post by Glyn Kirpalani »

Hi there

I ran into a Tropikist guest today who was unhappy at no kettles in the rooms - other than that no problems. Her fault really for not checking when she booked the holiday. As for mossys, with suitable repellent these are not a problem particulalry if staying at a beach or sea front location. Dengue fever rarely occurs in Trinidad (rare enough to hit the headlines) but it is extremely rare in Tobago. I have been to worse places for mossys than Tobago so this is not an issue in my opinion - even europe was hit this year, with biting insects, due to the heat. Trinidad and Tobago is also malaria free.

Have fun
Glyn
Glyn Kirpalani
LauraMaharaj

Post by LauraMaharaj »

Ren B, what exactly was so bad about the hotel. The place looks like fun, nice and private to spend time with the other half. Close to airport and storebay, and if you're not all dat fussy bout stuff, we could get past the food......... OR is it ALLTHAT BAD!!?? Details please if u don't mind :D
Steve Wooler

Post by Steve Wooler »

Hi Laura

May I just pose what seems to be an obvious question?

If you are concerned about the Tropikist, why go there? There are lots of other alternatives of similar standard and price. Am I missing something?

I’m not trying to anyone to stay away from the Tropikist – far from. I’m simply wondering why you would go there if you are at all worried. There are lots of hotels near Store Bay and the airport.
Steve Wooler
myTobago.info - the definitive Visitor Guide to Tobago
LauraMaharaj

Post by LauraMaharaj »

well steve, its hard ............. my coworker had the most marvellous time there a few months ago. I like the pools and the location and I am getting a good price. So its like half say GREAT and the other half say terrible. I was wondering if its the people who are too fussy????!!!! :?
But say what, i am going and we will see what happens!! :P
Steve Davis

Post by Steve Davis »

I really can't believe all the varying reports that are cropping up about the Tropikist. Looking at their website, its looks FANTASTIC, on par with any of the bigger hotels, which I have stayed with in other parts of the world, and don't always come up to standard. Okay, I'm paying for a smaller hotel, which I like the idea of, and at a lower star rating, so I wouldn't expect to to be the cream of the crop - however, I would hope that it will give me what I expect for what I've paid. Im going, still really looking forward to it, can't wait infact. I'm not going there to eat their restaurant totally out, so why worry too much about the food - although the swim up bar may get a good bashing!! But seriously, I'm sticking with it despite what has been mentioned....the only thing im really worried about is meeting a shark in the sea and those mossies!!! Bring on the Togabo sun!!
My review will be posted when we return.
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

Well done Steve you stay with it after all how much time do you want to spend in a Hotel room as long as you have a bed to rest your head after a long night drinking who could ask for more. I can beleive with out a dought you are going with the right attitude you stick with and you will enjoy, holidays are what you make them. :lol:
Steve Davis

Post by Steve Davis »

Thanks, John. Yes, I do think thats right...I'm sure iwe are going to have a great time.
LauraMaharaj

Post by LauraMaharaj »

Steve, my sentiments exactly, I am taking your attitude and going with it!! The pools really do look inviting! :D Bet ya it all turns out to be a blast. :P have fun, keep good.
Steve Davis

Post by Steve Davis »

cheers, laura...yes, those pools do look very invitng indeed!! Can't wait...I think you are right, it's deffo gonna be a blast!!!
Syndy

Post by Syndy »

Hi,
just thought I would add my 2 cents as I have contemplated staying at Tropikist as well. I have stayed at Sandy Point Village (twice),Sandy Point Beach Club (3 times), Belleviste, Jimmy's and Kariwak. I have also visited Tropikist, Toucan Inn, Inn on the Bay, Blue Waters,Grafton and Grand Courland, Hilton and Coco Reef to check out the rooms, facilties etc.
In addition to the many times we have stayed at small guest houses.

For me location is the deciding factor, I like being close to Crown Point, but there is hardly a hotel with ocean view except maybe Crown Point Beach Hotel and Coco Reef. I visited tropikist for drinks and walked down the beach from Sandy Point many times.

It is a nice looking hotel, nothing on par with Hilton, Coco Reef, or Grand Courland. It's a small hotel with a very nice pool,adequate rooms and a nice view of the sunset from the pier on the very small beach.

That said, I have a friend who has stayed there and liked it, with the exception of the food. I have yet to stay at Tropikist but would love to hear the opinions/reviews from those who have.
Steve Davis

REVIEW OF OUR STAY

Post by Steve Davis »

Hi all...fresh from a lovely time in Tobago, here is our honest review of the Tropikist Beach Hotel.

Review of the Tropikist Beach Hotel, September 2003.

This is a view of our all inclusive stay at the Tropikist Beach Hotel for one week during the end of September 2003.We stayed in a standard room. Firstly, I would like to remind people that this hotel IS NOT THE HILTON OR THE COCO REEF HOTEL. If you have money to spend or wish to moan about the Tropikist for not being anywhere as good, then my advice is go and stay at these places and then complain about the lack of service etc. I am however, not sticking up for the Tropikist - the hotel does have its good points, but also has its bad points. But remember, so do the best hotels in the world.

The Tropikist is a 3 star hotel.

I thought it maybe easier to breakdown each section of the hotel,
rather than just waffle on.

ON ARRIVAL.
We were greeted by 3 semi-ignorant reception girls, who did their best not to make you fully welcomed, despite giving all arriving guests a non-alcoholic cocktail.These same girls did become better and friendlier as the week went on. We were talked through the all-inclusive plan and then shown to our rooms by the one of the guys who cleans the pool.

THE ROOM.
Our first impression was that the room was a tad on the basic side. This though, was something we were easily able to overcome given the view from the balcony. WOW! a great sea view and a lovely view of the pool, bar and restaurant. The Room had two double beds, tiled floor, shower (the taps were covered in lime scale and didn’t look as if they had been cleaned for sometime), sink with big mirror and loo. We had air conditioning which did sound like a small motorbike was in the room, which had to be turned off at night. (some other guests told us they only had a ceiling fan) a TV with cable TV, no Premiership football though and a fridge. There was a large walk in wardrobe area which we used to put our suitcase as well a clothes.The room maid actually did a great job, especially given the limited cleaning tools we would see her have on days. Rooms were cleaned each day, and we were provided with clean towels, soap, shower gels etc. All in all, given the time you are actually in the room, I would say that it was fine - nothing fantastic, but clean and tidy.

THE POOL
The swimming pool is totally amazing - some guests have said that it’s the best hotel pool on the island - this I cannot guarantee, but it is very good. Complete with a nice 5 seater swim up bar and beautifully landscaped with plants and a rocky waterfall and a child pool. The pool is well furnished and clean, as is the old pool (they have two), which is good for doing lengths and goes up to 8ft in depth. Only sad part is that the pool has lights around it, but is sadly not on in the evening. One extra thing - you are told that there is a free scuba diving lesson on the old pool - this is not at any other point offered to you and none one else was ever seen using this facility. Another penny pinching exercise.

JACUZZI
The Jacuzzi is set on the bay near the pool in between the plants. It has a great view, but unfortunately really needed a clean. Although the water looked very clear and clean, the edges of the Jacuzzi were disgusting - so much so, that someone had written 'clean me please', in the grime just like on a dirty van. The water was only warm, and the pumps weren't very strong. Shame, because this could of been a lovely thing to of used more often. Hopefully though, this is easily sorted with a good clean...lets hope they do it.

THE BEACH
The Tropikist 'beach'. Don't be fooled...this is not a beach, but merely some ugly sandy area going out onto a rocky and strong tidal sea. It’s not for swimming and I wouldn’t recommend using it. For a 7 min walk you can go to Store Bay beach which is really lovely. Stay by the pool and use the beach for a view to watch the sunsets on.

RESTAURANTS
Tropikist has two restaurants. The Bayside Grill and Bar, and the Sunset Restaurant. You eat breakfast in the small and often fully packed Sunset Restaurant. Make sure you are there at 7.30am or risk waiting for a table. It is buffet style and there is a choice of fruits, cereals, toast, pancakes and French toast (only on somedays) and cooked breakfast. The chef serves you the portions of the cooked breakfast that he feels will suit you best and depending what kind of mood he is in. Often he is tight fisted and has the ability to make you feel like Oliver (please sir can I have some more?) when you ask if you can have some more. The same goes for Dinner, which is taken in the Bayside Grill which leaves guest very hot as there is no air con or ceiling fans. This is nice looking restaurant with fairy lights going up the two main beams (only one was actually switched on though), and joins the open plan bar. The whole bar/restaurant is open to the elements, but well covered and even on a stormy night protects all guests. Again though, the chefs serve you what they like in terms of chicken or beef (asking for both can cause a bad feeling) and you help you self to the weak selection salads. Soup is always the starter and is very bland. Dessert is always jelly, 'cake', apple pie, fruit cocktail and ice-cream. None of the choices looked particularly inspiring, and I often went without my favourite part of the meal. Shame, this was one of the worst points about the hotel. Lunch is taken in the same restaurant and is a choice of sandwiches - cheese, tuna, club, chicken etc, and cheeseburger and hotdog - All came with fries. This was actually very nice as a snack, shame that was all that was on offer. Afternoon tea and cakes were meant to be served somewhere, but this was never seen by any of the guests - not that we really wanted them, but we had paid for them all the same, and couldn’t help but
feel that the hotel was penny pinching again.

THE BAR
A lovely rounded bar that joins the restaurant, and is a nice place to spend the evening - that is if you can put up with the local talents who claim to be able to sing! The only good nights were the Steel band and the solo guy (whose name I cant remember). Again, as mentioned by other reviews, the staff are largest ignorant - this goes for all over the hotel. Trying to catch the eye of one of the staff, even if 4 of them are talking together and all looking in your direction is a hard task. People tend to say that this is life in Tobago and the West Indies in general, but there’s way of life, which is acceptable and then there’s total ignorance!! Only one girl, who wore trendy style glasses and had red streaks in her hair is worthy of any credit - she was excellent and does deserve credit, but she is the only one. drinks are usually ok...we had a couple of experiences and so did other guests, that what you ordered can back as something different - the same was when ordered from the swim up bar - a place where it was at times very hard to get served from, as it the actual bar is set back into the main bar, and staff pretend that they cannot see you there. Cocktails were mostly fine, but tended to
vary depending on who was making them. Spirits were often 'out' if one or two of you ordered the same drinks a day or two running - how you run out of Vodka is beyond me!!!

SUN TERRACE
Not very nice during the day, although very popular. Very near the pool and littered with a a poor selection of pool furniture...could do with a paint job. Nice place to go for a drink and look at the stars or to look a the sunsets.

All in all you must remember that this is actually a nice place to stay, especially if you are on a budget. We both agreed that the hotel could do with some major improvements, but all in all is fine. We had a great stay, and would recommend it given what you pay. Don’t expect too much...my best advice would be to go room only and avoid the meals. You only really stay in your room at night, so that’s not such a big deal if its basic - take a travel iron and hairdryer if you are in the standard rooms though. Delux rooms are apparently not really worth the extra money. would recommend the Tropikist, but has made me think of saving more money and staying somewhere more upmarket for our next all inclusive holiday. The Tropikist website state that they offer massage facilities - they don’t.

Return to “Tropikist Beach Hotel”